Patient Services Coordinator – Somerville, MA
DESCRIPTION: Performs a wide range of administrative tasks utilizing well established skills and experience to support a medical office, including surgical scheduling, prior authorizations, medical office coding and billing as well as coordinating patient services such as appointments, testing, and referrals; Performs administrative coordination of a physician’s office to include secretarial support, data management and billing/financial support..
PATIENT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES
• Schedules patient office appointments; Provides information to physician as appropriate.
• Refers patients to appropriate hospital departments for registration, referral and financial
• Obtains, provides and maintains medical records in support of patient visits, surgeries, billing
• Maintains high level of knowledge and skill in the use of appropriate electronic systems to obtain and provide information. Monitors and uses systems to execute tasks, such as EPIC and ICM-MD, for incoming and outgoing referrals and Patient Gateway for patient messages.
• Arranges and/or provides information and visit support to patients and their families, such as distributing maps, information regarding procedures and interpreter services.
• Prepares for patient visits by placing appointment and surgery reminder calls, organizing patient files and printing forms and ensuring physician and office is prepared to provide for patient visit or surgery.
• Completes all aspects of patient checks-in, updating computer systems with correct and complete information, obtaining referral information and payments and preparing billing materials.
• Completes procedures to check-out patients including scheduling appointments and testing
• Provides and coordinates office support to meet physician needs. This includes operating room schedules, maintaining files, dictation support, correspondence with physicians, patients
• Provides patient appointments and reminder notices.
• Interacts in a courteous manner with physicians, nurses, and administrative staff within and outside of MGH to coordinate care of patients, obtain referrals, provide feedback, answer questions, etc.
• Maintains physician’s office to include calendar management, travel, office reception, mail processing, correspondence and reports and related responsibilities of a secretarial nature. Ensures timely renewal and maintains files of physician’s medical license(s), DEA certificate, professional liability insurance, etc. Prepares and maintains files of hospital and managed care plan credentialing documents. Ensures office is operating efficiently by performing duties to monitor and address needs such as order supplies, maintain files and obtain literature.
• Organizes materials and information for processing of invoices and reimbursements, updating and communicating on-call schedules and for use in presentations made at national meetings. Establishes and maintains databases for practice and physician use.
• Arranges for outside visitors, medical students, etc. as requested by physician.
• Participates in periodic staff meetings or other departmental meetings.
• Perform/participate in special projects as may arise from time-to-time.
• Arranges patient surgeries by scheduling pre-surgery appointments and testing; reschedules as needed. Obtains all required authorizations and referrals in advance of surgery. Provides information to Admitting in a timely manner.
• EPIC to schedule surgeries electronically. Updates physician calendar to block surgery schedule. Communicates any special circumstances to the physician. Distributes surgical schedules.
• Works with primary care and specialty offices to obtain patient historical data, reports, imaging studies, lab results or other information necessary for the coordination and completion of the surgery and patient care.
• Ensures patients receive pertinent patient education information about their surgeries. Confirms completion of Consent for Surgery forms. Provides patients with pre-surgical instructions
• Work effectively and efficiently with insurance companies to obtain pre-authorization for any and all surgical procedures.
• Maintains files to incorporate surgical information in paper and electronic patient and office files. This includes operative notes, discharge summaries and test reports.
• May schedule post-operative appointments and testing.
• Maintains an advanced level of knowledge regarding third party insurance, managed care and financial services and resources available to patients.
• Organizes and forwards patient and procedure information for billing. Answers patient and billing office questions. Resolves any discrepancies.
• Creates and maintains billing information, updating patient and hospital records. Ensures bills are processed and mailed in a timely manner. Works with patients to collect payments for all services
• Investigates and resolves billing matters utilizing advanced knowledge and skill related to insurance coverage, referral management, insurance company procedures and billing process.
• May provide statistics and reports on patient volume, procedures and other financially related data.
• Serves as a resource to admin colleagues and physicians regarding billing procedures and collections.
• Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
• Secretarial Certificate or Associate’s Degree. Equivalent and additional secretarial/administrative experience may be considered in place of education.
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years of secretarial experience. Experience in a healthcare setting helpful.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Typing 55 to 65 WPM required, including use of dictaphone.
• Exceptional computer skills (including word processing, database, electronic mail, internet, and spreadsheets) required. Knowledge of EPIC and other systems at a level sufficient to perform job.
• Good command of English language, including medical and scientific terminology.
• Exceptional organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
• Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to solve problems.
• Understanding of all pertinent medical insurances, managed care and patient financial services.